Friday, November 7, 2008

The Shame of November 4

A bit lost in the joy of the Obama election is the serious injustice of the passage of Prop. 8. I have many gay and lesbian friends and I have been struck by their equanimity if the face of their loss of rights. One friend said, "I am not going to let in ruin my day or my life. It is just not time yet. We have more work to do. I am only sad for the children who are hurt by the attitude that says their families are not worthy."

This is a wonderful video by Lawrence Lessig, the Stanford law professor and expert on electronic freedom, Creative Commons and software freedom. I wish his words of reason had been widely distributed to thinking, caring people. Would it have made a difference or do the bigots inside many, but not all, churches, have more power with the majority of the electorate?

No comments: